Banglamphu: where food is the soul of a city
Along the narrow streets of Bangkok’s Old City, or Banglamphu, families have been perfecting their recipes for generations. The result is some of the most unforgettable food in the kingdom, prepared with heart, but often disguised behind nondescript shophouses and markets tucked into mazes of alleyways. In this historic area, Bangkok’s rich and compelling heritage is expressed in every bite.
As our most food-focused tour, the Old Bangkok Food & Culture Walk is a great choice for dedicated foodies looking to explore the historic district through their taste buds. Click here for photos of this tour.
- 9:00: Meet at Krung Thonburi BTS SkyTrain Station, Exit 3, and take local transport to Bangkok’s old quarter.
- 9:15 – 11:45: Sample Thai-style breakfast food in a vibrant alleyway market lined by century-old shophouses, try a bunch of different foods, meet the local vendors and then pop into an 80-year-old Thai herb shop to explore this ancient form of medicine.
- 12:00 – 12:30: Take a short break from the food by visiting Wat Suthat, one of Bangkok’s most beautiful and tranquil temples; can often listen to the monks chanting here.
- 12:30 – 13:00: Go deeper into the Old Town, stopping to see gorgeous old houses hidden down alleys and stop for coffee and Thai snacks. Along the way you’ll pass smoky Chinese shrines and Buddha images that overflow onto the footpaths.
- 13:00 – 14:00: Enjoy central Thai curries, salads and soups prepared by an experienced chef who cuts no corners, crafting every dish.
- 14:00 – 14:30: Cool off with mango, coconut and/or durian ice cream at a shop that’s been hand-producing ice cream from young coconuts for over 70 years. In this area we can also stop by an interesting shop displaying all sorts of handmade crafts from all over Thailand.
- 14:30 – 15:30: Finish with a stroll through the famous Pak Khlong Talad, one of the world’s largest cut flower markets.
*These times are estimates, and we don’t normally stick to a rigid schedule. Depending on the customer’s preferences, this tour can finish anywhere between 14:00 and 17:00.
- Southern Thai curries
- Central Thai herb fish soup and shrimp salad
- Central Thai sausage wrapped in piper leaf
- Northeastern Thai spicy salad and sausage
- Northern Thai salad or curry noodle soup
- Grilled frog and insects (if you dare)
- Handmade chili paste sauteed with fish and spices
- Chinese-Thai noodles steamed with aromatic herbs and fresh crab
- Thai style sweets
- Thai style handmade ice cream
- Thai tropical fruits (rotating selection)
- Traditional Thai drinks (lemongrass and roselle juice, o-lieng coffee)
*Food samples are subject to changes/additions and can be adapted to your tastes. Vegetarians and those with allergies are welcome.
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday.
Meeting point and time:
Meeting time is 9:00 AM.
For groups of 3 or less, meeting at Krung Thonburi BTS SkyTrain Station, Exit 3.
For groups of 4 or more, meeting at Saphan Taksin BTS SkyTrain Station, Exit 2.
For a map of the BTS SkyTrain and MRT Subway systems, click here.
*Please let us know if you’re staying away from the SkyTrain/Subway lines (in Khao San Road or Chinatown areas, for example); in these cases it may be possible to meet at a Chao Phraya river ferry pier.
For this tour we can offer pick-up at most locations in Bangkok — the exact price will depend on the number of people and location of hotel. For this, we usually use public transport as Bangkok’s traffic can be a nightmare. We can also provide detailed directions on how to reach the meeting point from your hotel.
2,400 Baht per person for 2 guests.
2,200 Baht per person for 3 guests.
2,000 Baht per person for 4+ guests.
3,000 Baht for 1 person only.
Half price for children aged 12 and under.
*These prices are for private tours. We do not offer mixed group tours.
To reserve a day, please email us directly at email@example.com.
Please check your Spam folder if you don’t hear back from us within 24 hours.
***When inquiring, please answer the following:
- What is the date (or range of dates) that you would like to do the tour?
- Number of people in your group?
- If you would like to be covered by our insurance for free, what are the full names, ages and nationalities of every person in your group?
- Are you okay to meet at the meeting point or would like pick up at your hotel?
- Any special eating requirements — allergies, vegetarian, no pork, no spicy food, etc.?